Welcome to the Governors’ section of the website! We are lucky to have a Governing body who regularly visit the school.
Our Governors in July 2019 (Missing Charlie Skeels)
This is the page to come for news about the governing body and it will be updated regularly.
Our school Governors are made up of a range of different people. Some people are members of the general community of Totton and Calmore such as Dave Hills and Julian Baker. Others are parent governors such as Kevin Curtis and Jo Dorricott and some have come to join us by registering with the Local Authority such as Jim McGilvery and Dr. Chris Prior. We had a Governor Election in December 2019 and Mr Mark Gurd joined the Governing Body to replace Mrs Melanie Price.
Governors come into school regularly. Mr Kevin Curtis and Mrs Tracy Mitchell visited us in assembly to talk about their work as a school governor and we asked them lots of questions.
We are a very lucky school because our Governors visit regularly to see for themselves our school in action.
Mr Julian Baker regularly meets with our caretaker Mr Roy Witcomb and carries out Health and Safety inspections of our classrooms and site.
I’d like to share with you a brief description of the role of the governing body and what we do:
- We help the school to set high standards by planning for the school’s future and setting targets for school improvement
- We keep the pressure up on school improvement
- We are a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice
- We help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community
- We make the school accountable to the public for what it does
- We work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review
- We exercise our responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff
- We regularly visit the school and talk to pupils to find out about their learning and teachers to discuss subject areas and development plans.
- We don’t intervene in the day-to-day management of the school (unless there are weaknesses in the school, when the GB has a duty to take action.)
We also form part of the school’s senior management team focussing on monitoring and raising standards of achievement, establishing high expectations and promoting effective teaching and learning, so that all pupils achieve their best.
Each governor brings to the body their own unique set of skills and experience and we’re always looking to recruit new governors. If you feel that you’d like to join us in making a difference to our children’s lives then please pop into school for a chat.
Dave Hills (Chair of Governors)
|Type||Name||Position and responsibility|
|Community||Mr Dave Hills||Chair of Governors/ICT Governor|
|Community||Mr Jim McGilvery||Vice Chair of Governors/Pupil Premium/Attendance Governor|
|Community||Mrs Tracey Mitchell||Early Years Governor|
|Community||Mrs Trudi Archer||SEND Governor|
|Community||Dr Chris Prior||Chair of Curriculum & Welfare/Safeguarding Governor|
|Co-opted||Mr Julian Baker||Health & Safety/Pupil Voice Governor|
|Parent||Mrs Charlie Skeels||Literacy Governor|
|Co-opted||Mr Kevin Curtis||Maths Governor|
|Parent||Mrs Joanne Dorricott||Assessment Governor|
|Parent||Mr Mark Gurd|
|Staff||Mrs Sarah Willes||Head teacher & Sports Funding|
Pay Committee: Julian Baker, Jim McGilvery, Kevin Curtis
Finance, Property & Staffing: Jim McGilvery, Mark Gurd, Kevin Curtis, Julian Baker, Dave Hills, Trudi Archer
Curriculum & Welfare: Chris Prior, Charlie Skeels, Jo Dorricott, , Tracy Mitchell, Dave Hills, Sarah Willes
Governor Attendance 2018-2019