Welcome to the Governors’ section of the website! We are lucky to have a Governing body who regularly visit the school.
Our Governors in July 2019 (Missing Charlie Skeels)
This is the page to come to for news about the governing body and it will be updated regularly.
Our school Governors are made up of a range of different people. Some people are members of the general community and some others are parent governors. We have recently welcomed two new parent governors John Bucci and Matt Gardner.
Governors come into school regularly or speak with the school when visits are not possible due to current restrictions. We also hold our committee and Full Governing Body meetings online via the virtual meeting technology to ensure we can still support Sarah and the team and keep up to date with school planning and strategy.
We have recently appointed a new chair Trudi Archer and vice chair Charlotte Skeels, following Dave Hills request to stand down after several years as chair. Dave remains an integral part of the governing body.
Mr Julian Baker regularly meets with our caretaker Mr Roy Witcomb and carries out Health and Safety inspections of our classrooms and site.
Our priorities have been to work with Sarah and her team during the ever changing landscape driven by the Coronavirus and to support decisions and actions taken keeping up to date with the changing requirements.
In addition we are in the in the process of recruiting a new Head since the retirement of Mrs. Cowcher last year. Our aim is to get this finalised in the first quarter of 2021.
I’d like to share with you a brief description of the role of the governing body and what we do:
- We help the school to set high standards by planning for the school’s future and setting targets for school improvement
- We keep the pressure up on school improvement
- We are a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice
- We help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community
- We make the school accountable to the public for what it does
- We work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review
- We exercise our responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff
- We regularly visit the school when we are able and talk to pupils to find out about their learning and teachers to discuss subject areas and development plans.
- We don’t intervene in the day-to-day management of the school (unless there are weaknesses in the school, when the GB has a duty to take action.)
We also form part of the school’s senior management team focusing on monitoring and raising standards of achievement, establishing high expectations and promoting effective teaching and learning, so that all pupils achieve their best.
Trudi Archer (Chair of Governors)
|Type||Name||Position and responsibility|
|Community||Mrs Trudi Archer||Chair of Governors/SEND Governor|
|Community||Mr Jim McGilvery||Vice Chair of Governors/Pupil Premium/Attendance Governor|
|Community||Mrs Tracey Mitchell||Early Years Governor|
|Community||Dr Chris Prior||Chair of Curriculum & Welfare/Safeguarding Governor|
|Co-opted||Mr Julian Baker||Health & Safety/Pupil Voice Governor|
|Co-opted||Mr Kevin Curtis||Maths Governor|
|Parent||Mrs Joanne Dorricott||Assessment Governor|
|Parent||Mrs Charlie Skeels||Literacy Governor|
|Parent||Mr John Bucci|
|Parent||Mr Matt Gardner|
|Parent||Mr Mark Gurd|
|Staff||Mrs Sarah Willes||Head teacher & Sports Funding|
|Staff||Mrs Adele Weaver||Deputy Head teacher & SENCO|
Pay Committee: Julian Baker, Jim McGilvery, Kevin Curtis
Finance, Property & Staffing: Jim McGilvery, Mark Gurd, Kevin Curtis, Julian Baker, Trudi Archer
Curriculum & Welfare: Chris Prior, Charlie Skeels, Jo Dorricott, , Tracy Mitchell, Sarah Willes
Governor Attendance 2018-2019